A Senior Network Specialist
is a highly technical position who will be responsible for completing large, complex network design, engineering, configuration, and operational tasks and projects on this company’s combined voice/video/data network infrastructure specializing in video services. This position will provide subject matter expertise in multiple network technologies and will integrate multiple, diverse technologies. A Senior Network Specialist will proactively drive improvements to processes and standards across Technology and Service Delivery. This position will have significant interaction with vendors, will assist in escalations, and will mentor other team members. A Senior Network Specialist will successfully lead large project teams and will assist management in analyzing the business impacts of technology decisions, often presenting results to senior management. A Senior Network Specialist will perform these duties in one of the following Network Operations functional areas:
- Deploy, maintain, support, and configure new and existing network infrastructure powering this company’s video products across cable and wireline footprints.
- Network Infrastructure Planning
- Network Architecture
- Network Architecture, Design & Technology Assessment
- Network Engineering
- Data Network Engineering
- Technology Development
- Operational Readiness
- Network Translations
- Circuit Design
- Network Design
- Configuration Management
- Advanced Technical Support
- Service Activation
Other Qualifications Technical:
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) -OR- 4+ years professional work experience.
- 6+ years experience in Voice/Data/Video networking.
Is familiar with the following area and has subject matter expertise in multiple technologies and their inter-workings:
- Broadband and narrowband access technologies including (but not limited to) POTS, xDSL, T1, DS3, PRI, BRI, WiFi, WiMAX, PON, OCX.
- Transport technologies including (but not limited to) SONET, ATM, Ethernet, POS, DWDM, WDM.
- Voice Switching technologies including Legacy this company and Softswitch technologies.
- TCP/IP technologies including (but not limited to) routing and routing protocols (e.g., OSPF, BGP, etc.), subnetting, multicast, tunneling, bridging, MPLS, IP quality of service, traffic engineering, VoIP and IPTV.
- Power Concepts associated with AC and DC power equipment and HVAC implementations in both cabinet and building applications.
- Customer premises equipment including (but not limited to) Routers, PBX, Handsets, set-top boxes, home wiring concepts
- Able to lead a cross-functional group to work complex network issues/projects.
- The ability to manage changing priorities for yourself and others and to handle several complex network tasks concurrently. Able to set priorities.
- Scope of responsibility is primarily set by employee based on management direction and department strategy.
- Able to lead diverse individuals/teams. Able to interact and work with others as part of a team and remove barriers to the team’s success.
- Proactively identifies complex issues and is able to lead cross-functional groups to resolve. Has the knowledge and skills to escalate issues when appropriate. Possesses expert knowledge of internal processes and tools and drives changes when necessary.
- Ability to analyze technological solutions to meet business needs.
- Ability to lead change.
- Excellent organizational and written/verbal communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills. Able to present concepts to senior management.
- Able to represent TDS at industry functions.
- Positive attitude and company focus are required.
- Requires software knowledge and skills in business and office applications, such as spreadsheets, database applications, word documents, network drawing tools, basic network applications (telnet, FTP Client, FTP Server) and basic Unix tools.
- The ability to make timely decisions.
- The ability to organize priorities (self and others) to achieve maximum performance cost effectively.
- Basic mathematical and statistical analysis.
- Knowledge of business analysis tools (including, but not limited to cost-benefit analysis, NPV, IRR)
Physical Demands and Work Environment.
- Ability to travel as necessary if the needs of the business dictates.
- If the needs of the business dictate, perform network tasks outside normally scheduled business hours to complete project work, provide on-call support and/or implement scheduled network changes.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.