This position plays a key role in the ownership of WBA’s U.S. state tax profile and optimization of the state profile through maintenance and ongoing development of a tax efficient structure and reporting positions. Optimization of the state tax profile includes identification and implementation of state structures/reporting positions related to state specific planning, support of federal and international planning, support of M&A and other operational business transactions and activities, and legislative/regulatory tracking and advocacy.
Additionally, this role includes supporting the Tax Operations team in reporting planning positions on tax returns, supporting the Tax Audit Team in defending planning positions, and supporting the Tax Accounting Team in accurately accounting for planning positions to properly reflect the positions in financial statements.Job Responsibilities:
- Identifies, manages, and leads the development and resolution of direct and indirect state tax issues (with heavier emphasis on direct taxes) in connection with tax planning transactions, M&A transactions, and operational business transactions.
- Researches complex state tax issues proactively with proficiency in interpreting the tax law as applied to specific facts and resolves tax issues accordingly.
- Effectively communicates tax issues, analysis, and resolution both from a tax technical and non-technical perspective and in both written and verbal communications.
- Leads quantitative modeling of state tax planning structures and reporting positions.
- Creates work efficiencies and risk-control by identifying and implementing process improvements through technology-based automation and/or work process changes.
- Monitors state tax law changes that impact state tax structures or reporting positions, and effectively and timely addresses law change tax impact with Tax leadership and Government Relations.
- Identifies accounting and financial statement issues/disclosures (e.g., ASC 450 and 740) related to state tax reporting positions.
- Manages projects, including internal and external teams, from project inception through to implementation and maintenance.
- Develops relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Supports the Tax Operations Compliance team in reflecting state tax structures and positions on tax returns filed with government authorities to minimize risks related to reporting.
- Supports the Tax Audit team involving state issues and related information requests.
- Supports the Tax Accounting team in accurately accounting for state tax planning and reporting positions.
- Leads, develops, and mentors less senior tax professionals.
- Maintains a robust and deep knowledge of state direct and indirect tax issues across all states (with a heavier emphasis on direct tax), as well as knowledge of federal and international tax issues impacting state tax issues, strategies, and reporting positions.