Under the direction of a supervising physician, the Senior Physician Assistant provides high quality, efficient, team based patient focused care.
The Senior Physician Assistant responsibilities may include managing patients in the office, hospital, ED and/or perioperative setting.
The Senior Physician Assistant may be required to First Assist in the OR or perform other department specific procedures. The Senior Physician Assistant may also facilitate on call responsibilities for his/her supervising physician.
The Senior Physician Assistant's daily responsibilities may vary based upon the department & supervising physician needs and may require evening or weekend hours.
The Senior Physician Assistant, by virtue of his/her experience and competency in the role, provides a high level of clinical and operational expertise and may function as a mentor to less experienced Physician Assistants.
The Physician Assistant will practice as part of a team under the direction of their supervising physician.
Primary Duties will be inclusive of the following but not limited to:
- Examines patient, performs comprehensive physical examination, and compiles patient medical data, including health history and results of physical examination.
- Administers or orders diagnostic tests, such as imaging studies, electrocardiogram, and laboratory tests, and interprets test results for deviations from normal.
- Performs therapeutic procedures such as injections, immunizations, suturing and wound care, and managing infection.
- Performs other department specific diagnostic or therapeutic procedures.
- Develops and implements patient management plans, records progress notes, and assists in provision of continuity of care.
- Instructs and counsels patients regarding compliance with prescribed therapeutic regimens, normal growth and development, family planning, emotional problems of daily living, and health maintenance and other relevant patient education. Based upon Specific Specialty, additional duties may include the following:
- Facilitate admissions, transfers, discharges.
- First assist in surgeries or perform procedures as applicable.
- Round on inpatients.
- Performs admission evaluation on patients to include: obtaining basic medical information and history, reviewing patient's medical record, performing physical exam, documenting findings into patient medical record, and reporting deviations from normal findings to attending physician.
- Provides patient and family with pre-operative/pre-procedure and other pertinent education.
- Answers questions regarding surgery or procedures, recovery and risk factor modification; provides blood transfusion information as applicable; performs peri-operative procedures; locates and utilizes diagnostic images, instruments and pertinent patient information.
- Reviews patient chart noting allergies, pertinent medical history, and abnormal physical findings.
- Assists in performing surgical procedures and other procedures consistent with the standards of care and practice guidelines.
- Depending on the specialty, may work as the First Assist during surgical procedures, start IV's, and/or perform suturing.
- Performs post-operative procedures to include entering standard post-operative orders into patient medical records; assists physicians with evaluation and management of patient's status during recovery; reviews vital signs, laboratory and diagnostic studies; assists with management of patients.
- Facilitates patient discharge; dictates discharge and transfer summaries in a timely manner. Other Duties
- The Senior Physician Assistant provides a high level of clinical and operational expertise and may function as a mentor to less experienced Physician Assistants.
- May collaborate with the supervising physician, manager and other department members on performance improvement activities.
- This position will be assisting all services in the operating room, rounding on inpatient robotic patients, and working in the clinic doing survivorship for urology oncology patients.