Provide genetic counseling and referral services for adult and pediatric patients who have or are at risk for genetic conditions. Patients will be seen independently or in conjunction with a Medical Geneticist, as needed. Consult with Health Care providers regarding highly specialized genetic information pertinent to patient management. Support the Geneticist in preparation of new cases and provide psychosocial counseling and follow-up.
- Assess patient & family needs related to Genetics consultation by triaging referrals and obtaining and interpreting family history. Assess family concerns and need for information in addition to discussing genetic testing availability.
- Provide pre- and post- genetic counseling including psychosocial support and referrals to other providers as needed. Write clinic notes and documents interactions with family.
- Coordinate care by arranging for genetic testing and coordinating diagnostic & research studies. Communicate test results to families and determines need for further evaluation by Geneticist.
- Accompany Medical Geneticist to circuit riding sites as often as once per month.
- Supervise genetic counseling students as they rotate through clinic.
- Participate in activities which improve KFHPWs Genetics program by working with the medical geneticist to develop clinical indicators for quality assurance.
- Full licensure must be maintained throughout employment.
- Masters degree in genetic counseling.
License, Certification, Registration
- Genetic Counselor License (Washington) required at hire OR Provisional Genetic Counselor License (Washington) required at hire
- Genetic Counselor License (Washington) within 12 months of hire
- Experience with software applications including MS Office software and Web browsers.
- Knowledge of human growth and development to modify care to the age and development status of patients.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting and with various age groups.
- Experience in prenatal, pediatric and adult genetics or equivalent work experience.
- Certified with National Society of Genetic Counselors by date of hire/transfer.