Selects and administers intravenous, spinal and other anesthetics prior to and during surgical or medical procedures, as a member of the anesthesia care team and in accordance with this company's policies and procedures. Monitors patient reactions and vital signs during and after anesthesia and takes remedial action when warranted. Submits postoperative report on patient condition, and maintains records of anesthetics administered. Performs procedures outside of the OR, in accordance with this company's policies and procedures, established competency, and MD order.
- Conducts and/or reviews anesthetic evaluation of patients prior to surgical proceedings, deliveries or other pertinent medical procedures in hospital setting; consults with anesthesiologists and/or surgeons.
- Reviews patients charts, including permits, pre-operative medications, lab work, and any other significant variations, such as hearing aids, dentures, contact lenses, or other prostheses, in accordance with this company's policies and procedures and the departmental policy.
- Evaluates patients to identify apparent difficulties with airway control, etc. Ensures that all pre-anesthesia evaluations are documented thoroughly according to policies and standards.
- Explains tests, procedures and disease processes to patients and their family as indicated; explains the major anesthetic risks to patients as requested and documents that the risks are explained to patients.
- Develops the care regimen of assigned patients; reviews the care regimen with the supervising physician and gains concurrence; implements the anesthesia plan; starts IV solution, administers selected anesthetic, choice of anesthetic consistent with patient safety, surgical need, possible post operative complications, and patients history and conditions. and evaluates and manages the patient, according to departmental policy.
- Participates with post anesthesia care unit personnel in a patient safety oriented interface when patients are transferred from the surgery suite.
- Monitors patients' vital signs, such as blood pressure and observes any significant physical changes; informs anesthesiologist and/or surgeon of patient's condition and takes any necessary remedial action such as infant resuscitation when necessary.
- Mixes solutions to required concentrations, such as pentothal, succinylcholine, vaso-active drugs etc.
- Keeps current accurate and complete record of procedures performed and patients' conditions immediately prior to the administration of anesthesia according to established standards.
- Performs procedures done outside of OR, such as intubation, arterial line placement, etc., in accordance with policies and procedures, competencies, and physician order. Charts details of procedures done on progress notes.
- This company conducts compensation reviews of positions on a routine basis. At any time, this company reserves the right to reevaluate and change job descriptions, or to change such positions from salaried to hourly pay status. Such changes are generally implemented only after notice is given to affected employees.