Develops, directs and executes the development and implementation of category strategies for indirect goods and services. Creates and executes short-term and long-term strategies that align with the Company goals for reducing costs and meeting company financial expectations, while managing vendor relationships and new product innovation.
Responsible for directing, coordinating, and assuring assigned indirect spend categories and services are purchased at the lowest possible total cost of ownership. Assures purchases are made with a thorough analysis of general business economics and conditions, sources of supply, business requirements/specifications, and overall Company policy.
Provides continuous leadership, oversight of work quality and constructive feedback to direct reports.
- Plans, develops and implements business plans and budgets, including long-range objectives, performance goals and metrics for each category. Collaborates with Operations, Legal, Supply Chain and other customers as needed to champion cross-functional sourcing initiatives. Understands category specific (store and pharmacy operations) principles and value of analytics.
- Provides continuous leadership, oversight of work quality and constructive feedback to direct reports.
- Communicates Company, department and individual performance goals and levels of goal achievement.
- Recruits, hires and trains a qualified and talented team of employees.
- Supervises and approves the planning process with Category Managers in developing and recommending sourcing solutions, channels for distribution and execution of best practices for the assigned categories.
- Applies complex analytics to enable optimized cost savings and ensure an adequate supply chain.
- Creates collaborative business plans with strategic vendors and negotiates strategies and programs. Oversees that Category Managers develop and maintain positive vendor relationships. Approves Category Manager vendor contract negotiations, guaranteeing the attainment of the most advantageous pricing, terms, discounts, allowances, quality, delivery, service and dating (where applicable). Ensures all goods and services meet established standards. Addresses business unit complaints, requests, and questions and resolves within guidelines.
- Assures proper analysis and application of internal and external industry specific research information, to determine Company direction in designated categories, reasons for pricing increases/decreases, and develops risk mitigation strategies.
- Directly manages complex negotiations with suppliers that require a detailed strategic plan and have a direct correlation with Walgreens operational needs goals.
- Manages the development of procedures to ensure goods and services are available to business units and maintain sufficient inventory levels and/or supply chain to support all events.
- Drives to execute divisional benefits and/or cost savings goals and targets. Assures the appropriate use of Corporate capital.
- Ensures positive vendor relationships are maintained; monitors supplier’s performance and holds supplier accountable for the adherence to Walgreen policies, procedures and appropriate service levels.
- Supports the talent development of inter-divisional team members and the overall development of cross-functional teams. Collaborates with analysts, associate category managers, and category managers.