Executes and implements effective procurement strategies, from initial identification of procurement needs through delivery, for indirect goods and services. Develops short-term and long-term strategies that align with the Company goals for reducing costs and meeting financial expectation, while managing vendor relationships and new product innovation.
Responsible for negotiating, coordinating, and assuring that assigned indirect spend categories and services are purchased at the lowest possible cost. Assesses near-term and long term plans to establish that supplier priorities are balanced with business needs; consults with Sr. Management, and other subject matter experts to develop alternative solutions; advises on options, risks, total cost of ownership, and business impacts.
Provides oversight of work quality and constructive feedback to direct and indirect reports, where applicable.
- Directs and executes strategic sourcing strategies, best practices, and initiatives that support aggressive improvements in supplier quality, total cost effectiveness, enhanced service levels, improved coordination, delivery, pricing, lead-times, payment, risk compliance and other areas as identified.
- Executes category sourcing strategies including development and execution of RFI’s and RFP’s, documents bid events through correspondence to suppliers; develops selection criteria and drives the selection of suppliers in collaboration with a cross-functional teams; conducts supplier negotiations and ongoing supplier management.
- Actively seeks ways to streamline business processes; researches and provides information on industry category trends and best practices. Provides procurement input to maximize procurement leverage, optimizes project design and minimizes project durations and cost.
- Develops negotiation strategies, gains alignment from stakeholders, leads cross-functional, category-based negotiation teams, and implements appropriate supplier risk analysis. Directly negotiates with suppliers that require a detailed strategic plan and have a direct correlation with Walgreens operational needs and goals.
- Uses current spend information/data and business knowledge to identify sourcing projects for individual subcategories, and develops an overall cost reduction plan. Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of business requirements and category ownership by creating and defending category strategies and decisions with sound analytics. Delegates analytic tasks to key support functions; and synthesizes results.
- Develops supplier score card to measure supplier performance against agreed upon key performance indicators; tracks compliance and supports formal management reporting to director and other members of senior management. Benchmark, track, and analyze annual performance metrics and sourcing trends against budget on a monthly basis to demonstrate continuous improvement and progress against strategic objectives. Implement supplier management programs with key suppliers including metrics, performance goals, and improvement initiatives.
- Monitors supplier performance to ensure that delivery dates and technical and contractual requirements are met. Participates in strategic meetings with suppliers and business leaders to ensure execution of defined strategies. Manages day-to-day on-going category supplier relations and seeks out growth or revision opportunities within supply base. Acts as the internal point of contact for supplier management and complaint resolution; conducts regular supplier meetings and implements improvement strategies with suppliers. Creates, nurtures, and enhances supplier relationships.
- Aggressively manages category performance by adhering to internal Savings goals and reviewing financial models for commodity type items. Ensures spend portfolio for reoccurring managed spend is balanced through coordinated sourcing waves and leveraged with Capital project sourcing activities.
- Drives consolidation of spend and seeks out synergies across Business Units where applicable, by forming and leading cross-functional strategic sourcing teams to develop and implement category/commodity strategies and to drive cost from individual spend sub-categories. Champions weekly category review meetings with cross-functional teams to manage category performance.
- May cultivate team morale, motivation, and loyalty through continuous training and mentorship, setting obtainable performance goals, proving clear communication and constructive feedback.