Legal Secretary Position Summary
This position has dual performance function, first supports the delivery of quality legal services to clients by providing secretarial and administrative assistance to attorneys, performing complex and specialized secretarial and clerical tasks, and working collaboratively and cooperative with others in a team-oriented environment. This position supports a set of attorneys as a primary assignment and also provides back-up secretarial assistance to others as assigned.Primary Responsibilities
Skills and Abilities
- Handle outgoing mail and logging and distribution of incoming mail.
- Prepare hearing and deposition notebooks.
- Able to draft standard pleadings, correspondence, memoranda and other documents.
- Timely reviews and ensures accuracy of vendor invoices; prepares accurate check requests and timely submits invoices for payment to client or accounting.
- Accurately files and serves court documents both electronically and in document form when required.
- Regularly and accurately proofreads all documents to ensure accuracy and completeness prior to distribution or filing.
- Regularly anticipates the needs of assigned attorneys.
- Routinely reviews and follows-up on client deadlines and calendar appointments.
- Coordinates, makes necessary arrangements, and sets up and breaks down for meetings (i.e., depositions, mediations, interviews, and vendor and facility reservations).
- Assists assigned attorneys with completing and tracking CLE compliance, presentations and training programs, other business development activities, and organizing all other non-billable activities.
- Maintains attorney specific case lists, charts, and status of cases and outcomes.
- Seeks appropriate assistance (from the office manager or attorneys) when conflicts arise.
- Effectively manage and monitor calendaring of deadlines and key dates.
- Make travel arrangements for attorneys and timely submit expense reimbursements for same.
- Regularly assists with maintaining a clean and organized office including conference rooms, break room and copy room.
- Strong proficiency in the use of Pacer, ECF, document management system, CompuLaw, Concur, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, and time entry.
- Attendance & Punctuality: Be consistently at work and on time; arrive at meetings and appointments on time; ensure work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Customer Service: Respond promptly to attorney and client requests for service and assistance; meet commitments.
- Dependability: Follow instructions; complete tasks on time; commit to the hours necessary to complete assignments; work independently.
- Professionalism: Approach others in a tactful manner; treat others with respect; react well under pressure.
- Team Work: Contribute to building a positive team spirit; support everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Demonstrates knowledge of legal terminology, legal documents, and legal processes.
- Ability to work effectively and proactively within a team environment.
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks concurrently and to meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills, interpersonal skills, and attention to detail.
- Initiative, flexibility, resiliency, and a willingness to adapt to change.
- Minimum of a high school diploma required (College degree is preferred, but not required).
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years of litigation experience required.