Responsible for managing development, implementation and communication of WBA accounting policies and procedures to ensure compliance with US GAAP and other external regulations and requirements. Lead trainings and discussions with finance teams across the Company to ensure that the team has a reasonable understanding of the US GAAP accounting guidance as well as the Company’s accounting policies.
Review all significant transactions across the Company to ensure that the accounting is in accordance with US GAAP requirements. Lead the resolution of any significant accounting matters related to local statutory filings. Responsible for ensuring that the extensive analysis of accounting and reporting issues to reach solutions that satisfy requirements are practical to implement. Lead the process for gathering (direct and recurring conversations with business-line controllers) and resolving significant accounting matters across the Company including reviews with Chief Accounting Officer of the Company.
Controllership point of contact for the WBA Mergers and Acquisitions (“M&A”) team including accounting advisory and valuation support. As a strategic advisor to M&A for all significant M&A initiatives (e.g., business acquisitions and divestitures, equity investments, complex structure and instruments), help develop structuring transactions to satisfy applicable accounting requirements and arrive at practical and effective solutions.
Point of contact for WBA Treasury on all complex treasury transactions, including foreign currency as well as interest rate related hedge accounting programs, to ensure compliance with the complex accounting rules.
Represent the Company in industry group discussions on accounting and reporting matters as well as in discussions with FASB and SEC. Lead the preparation of any SEC preclearance matters as well as preparing the Company’s reply to any SEC comment letters.
Assist the quarterly preparation of the SEC filings. Ownership of valuation models related to goodwill and intangibles assets including determination of quarterly trigger events and impairment analysis.
Develop talent, including the technical accounting team of Sr. Managers at the WBA level as well as across the businesses.Job Responsibilities:
- Leads the US GAAP accounting and research activities for WBA and underlying businesses with regard to emerging issues and complex transactions. Serves as advisor to WBA Finance Leadership team (including all business-line controllers and senior finance leadership) for complex accounting issues.
- Serves as liaison with external organizations on complex policy issues and emerging accounting guidance. Directs the coordination of and acts as liaison with external auditors on financial examinations and audits.
- Leads implementation of significant new US GAAP accounting guidance for the entire company. This includes managing global project, cross divisional operating group, training employees across the globe and working with IT to provide changes to the systems.
- Identifies and anticipates critical accounting issues and recommends appropriate responses to meet business challenges.
- Prepares management reports and participates in presenting results to senior management on items regarding technical accounting issues.
- Prepares or leads the preparation of whitepapers to establish and support the WBA and underlying businesses related technical accounting conclusions and overall recommendations as it relates to technical accounting issues in compliance with GAAP and other external regulations and requirements.
- Reviews reports supporting internal and external audits. Leads discussions with internal and external auditors on the accounting positions and conclusions.
- Partners with M&A and Tax departments on complex WBA transactions including business acquisitions and divestitures, equity investments, and complex instruments accounting. Support the due diligence process, lead finalization of accounting conclusions and fair valuation analysis. Support transaction structuring.
- Implements and leads the global processes around Significant Accounting Matters and other quarterly data requirements.
- Leads teams on special studies and research/analysis of accounting impact of financial and operational issues. Makes recommendations on courses of action.
- Ensures internal customer satisfaction through the use of measures and proactive communication.
- Leads the development and delivery of trainings across the Company’s finance teams on complex accounting areas, upcoming changes in accounting guidance and significant accounting topics for the Company. Partner with the Big 4 accounting firm as well as commercial/finance teams within businesses to bring WBA examples to life in these training sessions.
- Support the transformation initiatives across the Company (e.g. Transformational Cost Management Program) including the review and conclusion of accounting for the underlying projects and initiatives, determine whether the underlying expenses qualify for non-GAAP adjustments based the Company’s policy as well as SEC guidance.
- Leads discussion on accounting and reporting matters with industry groups, FASB and SEC. Assist industry group efforts to support development of new GAAP guidance by supporting discussions with FASB.
- Owns the valuation models for goodwill and intangible assets of the Company and leads the quarterly and annual impairment review processes working with a cross functional team.
- Point of contact for all WBA Treasury transactions including use of derivatives for hedging the Company’s cash flow and net investment exposures, external debt transactions, internal legal entity restructuring etc.