This company is looking for an experienced software engineer to join our Video Engineering – Live team delivering high-quality live video at scale within the Playback Services team. You will become part of a strong engineering culture, where the engineers work with client-side software developers, broadcast engineers, project managers, and technical architects to build and support live video workflows.
Within Playback Services, the Video Engineering – Live team builds and manages systems and workflows that deliver all live content, including 24x7 linear streams and major live events. Reliability, quality, interoperability, and security of the content is of utmost importance. Standards-based engineering practices focus the team to deliver quality streaming solutions at scale. From ingest to captions to encoding to packaging to origin delivery, you will be part of what makes this company a great streaming platform.
As a member of the Video Engineering – Live team, you will play a key role in building tools which help operators and engineers to monitor, receive alerts and automate health-checks of video workflows, along with quality and consistency of the streams. In addition, you will be integrating 3 rd party monitoring solutions via custom dashboard developed from API’s and/or scripts to define metric visualization and alerts. You will develop solutions, test integrations, document workflows and assist in deployments, working with the operations group to ensure consistent 24x7 monitoring. You will work closely with key vendors, developing solutions side by side, and you will embrace diversity as part of an inclusive and flexible workplace. Responsibilities
- Using in-house and third-party tools, participate in efforts to design, build and support the live and linear pipeline for streaming video, optimizing video encoding, packaging, and delivery
- Serve as a technology expert when working with technology partners, engineers, and vendors, implementing smart technology solutions and tools which help video engineering teams deliver, support and monitor live streams.
- Develop solutions from scratch, from open source or integrate vendor solutions in-house to build out a highly automated monitoring, alerting and observability solution
- Work close with the Site Reliability Engineering team to integrate solutions, define requirements and automate deliverables.
- Help coordinate and participate in testing new solutions and workflows working side by side with QA team.
- Manage and maintain cloud-based content delivery and services
- Collaborate with other Playback Services team members to help create a team-centric culture
- Continuously learn, improve and optimise processes and ways of working
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in the software engineering workspace.
- Experience with scripting in Bash, Python, Perl, PHP or Java.
- Technical experience with cloud-based technologies, specifically within architecture/infrastructure (AWS)
- Understanding of containerization as it relates it Cloud (Kubernetes, Docker)
- Key understanding of technology principles and work methods (Agile, Scrum, etc.)
• Must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting your vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment.
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or adhere to enhanced protocols in select work settings or where jurisdictionally mandated.
• Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
- Knowledge of OTT video delivery pipelines including basic networking concepts, source origination, video ingest & encoding, and packing including encryption and DRM
- Knowledge of OTT streaming protocols such as CMAF, HLS, DASH
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently under minimum supervision
- Team player with desire to collaborate and share ideas with other team members
- Self-motivation and resourcefulness
- Strong quantitative, analytical, debugging, problem solving, and decision-making skills
- Likes to learn and apply new knowledge for overall benefit of the team