Under the supervision of a Licensed Clinical Psychologist, provides variety of ambulatory behavioral health services including evaluation, diagnosis, treatment planning, case management and psychotherapeutic intervention to individuals, families, groups and/or Intensive Outpatient Programs. Under supervision, may collaborate with psychiatric and allied health professional team members to plan and direct each patients treatment program.
- All clinical services provided by the Psychologist Assistant will be under the supervision of a licensed clinical psychologist.
- Interviews and assesses member and evaluates their psychological and mental status. Utilizes the latest Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) to diagnose patients. Determines if member is in crisis, at-risk, or suicidal/homicidal. Refers members in need of immediate or urgent care to appropriate level of services.
- Provides psychotherapy and counselling for individuals, families, groups and/or Intensive Outpatient Programs. Utilizes a wide range of latest evidence based interventions and modalities. Provides services such as crisis intervention, brief therapy, cognitive and behavioral therapies, skills training, supportive therapy, stress management, and family therapy.
- Assesses urgent or high-risk clinical situations and makes appropriate interventions. Coordinates referral of patient to psychiatrist or other clinician. Assists with admission to hospital or other specialized facilities. Plans and provides services in the appropriate level of care. Assesses needs for mental health treatment and makes appropriate referrals as needed.
- Plans, develops, implements, and leads therapeutic and educational groups to address needs of patient. Evaluates outcomes and effects of treatment for patients and programs. Confers and consults with supervisor regarding members progress and treatment and may consult with psychiatrist as well, if both are involved in members care.
- Researches, collects and records data and information relating to diagnosis. Formulates evidence based treatment interventions and approaches foridentified diagnosis. . Assists in establishing clinical best practices and guidelines for delivery of service. Utilizes resources of public and private agencies and community organizations to meet the needs of the members treatment to include referral resources, as appropriate.
- Assists and empowers patients to participate in their treatment plan. Engages patients in therapeutic relationship. Educates patients regarding mental health services. Makes recommendations and referrals for patients to obtain information, support, services and assistance they may need from this company or community resources related to their behavioral health needs.
- Collaborates and consults with physicians and other interdisciplinary clinical team members to support assessments and decision making. Reviews difficult cases or quality assurance concern with clinical team. Acts as consultant to team members and others in organization.
- Acts as liaison between behavioral health services and primary care, emergency department and other outpatient clinics.
- Maintains high level of clinical expertise. Is knowledgeable of current clinical conditions, methods, medications, theoretical frameworks and interventions. Utilizes best practices in delivery of behavioral health services in accordance with professional and clinical guidelines established by professional bodies. Understands rationale and theory for interventions. Utilizes evidence based interventions and modalities with sound theoretical base, which are clinically feasible and have demonstrated clinical effectiveness.
- Maintaining clinical records by documenting clinical assessments, treatment plans, interventions and all pertinent information in patient medical record according to Regional and departmental guidelines. Provides and arranges for psychological testing for Integrated Behavioral Health Services when appropriate. Develops and conducts specialized treatment programs and services.
- Participates in clinical team meetings, departmental planning and quality management activities.
- Assesses patients in Emergency Departments on after hours and as needed basis in service areas where this company has privileges to provide mental health assessments and crisis intervention.
- Other clinical duties as assigned.
- Completion of a minimum of 1,900 hours (48 weeks) in a clinical psychology residency program.
- Doctoral degree in Psychology from an American Psychological Association (APA) approved program in clinical psychology or from an accredited institution with the graduate level training leading to the doctoral degree meeting the requirements of Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR) 16-98-9.
License, Certification, Registration
- Psychologist License (Hawaii) within 24 months of hire
- Basic Life Support required at hire from American Heart Association
- Experience in providing evidence based treatment including conducting individual and group therapy, intensive outpatient treatment, and/or partial hospitalization programs for children, and/or adults, including people with serious/chronic mental illness
- Experience in writing treatment plans.
- Knowledge and experience in conducting assessments and diagnostic evaluations using the latest Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).
- Familiar with frequently used psychiatric medications.
- Familiarity with statistical/analytical methods of instruments.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in adaptability, change management, conflict resolution, decision making, group process facilitation, influence, interpersonal relations, oral communication, problem solving, quality management, teamwork, and written communication.
- Taxonomy code required at time of hire.
- Experience with documentation according to national accreditation guidelines.
- Experience in providing behavioral health services in a primary care setting is highly desireable.
- Experience in providing services to patients with addictions issues.
- Experience in providing consultation/liaison services to emergency departments.