The Associate Manager is responsible for managing daily unit operations and provides support and assistance to the Manager. The Associate Manager under the supervision of the Manager/Nurse Manager holds direct administrative authority for specific nursing units. The Associate Manager assists with the management of department personnel, provision of safe, cost-effective, quality patient care, a safe work environment and the provision of educational activities for the staff. He/she is directly accountable to the manager of the specific units/departments. The Associate Manager is a "back up "resource for the staff in the absence of the Manager. The Associate Manager is not an interim step in the communication link between the staff and the Manager, but rather a facilitator or additional resource. The Associate Manager facilitates work flow in the department with the support of the Charge Nurse.
- Communication: Use established channels of communication to share information, receive feedback and report problems. Assist in the communication of plans and decisions to staff and providers to facilitate linkages and flow of information to others. Build credibility with physicians as a champion for patient care, quality, and nursing professionalism. Effectively facilitates consensus building to accomplish goals and objectives. Provide constructive feedback and effectively manages conflict. Assist in the creation and articulates a shared vision and goals. Follow up on feedback and reports problems as well as positive comments. Assist in maintaining an environment which recognizes and values differences in staff, physicians, patients and communities. Collaborate with nursing programs to provide required resources. Routinely rounds on staff to communicate key messages and identify concerns and issues. Routinely rounds on patients to gain feedback.
- Clinical Practice: Act as an expert resource for staff and utilizes knowledge in clinical area of practice. Assist in the evaluation of nursing practice, research and trends. Apply knowledge to the development of standards of care and practice to ensure optimal patient outcomes. Assist in the creation, modifications and evaluation of policies and procedures as delegated and/or appropriate to the clinical unit and expertise. Assist in the development of competencies so staff achieve maximize performance. Maintain personal and professional growth of self and others by participating in educational offerings and professional organizations. Partner with medical staff and other disciplines to assist with establishment of patient care goals for unit development. Evaluate patient care delivery model and the needed staff, equipment and resources to provide safe, optimal care. Assist in the direction and supervision of staff and ensure safe, therapeutic environment, both for in the moment operational support and long term. Support the development and implementation of an organization wide patient safety program. Ensure staff is educated on risk management and compliance issues and correct action is identified in areas of potential liability. Ensures staff support for expedited patient care by initiating protocol driven orders and patient preparation for physician exam (undressed, bedded, supplies and equipment in room needed for routine or specialty exam and/or treatment).
- Quality/Service Improvement: Articulate the organizations performance improvement program and goals. Assist in development, implementation and maintenance of quality/service monitoring processes. Assist in formulation of unit goals which are reflective of measurable objectives and evidence-based practice. Maintain compliance on unit with all regulatory requirements. Assist in monitoring unit quality/service programs with safety, environment, pharmacy and documentation issues. Support the quality expert role on the unit and assists with the quality plan developed by the staff. Assist in formulation of unit goals and quality/service management plans , which are responsive to the changing health care needs of the patients. Assist in resolution of customer complaints and facilitate improvement in processes or circumstances to improve the level of customer satisfaction.
- Leadership: In the absence of the manager, provide leadership and direction in accordance with the organization and departmental goals and objectives and behavioral standards of the organization. Assist the manager on all performance evaluations. Assist in counseling, coaching and mentoring of personnel. Provide assist to manager in corrective action process. Facilitate inter-departmental relationships so that mission, vision, goals of department and organization are achieved. Demonstrate critical thinking and use of evidence based practice. Support the Unit Based Teams (UBT) to accomplish tasks and goals. Actively participates/leads committees and task forces as needed. Ensures staff compliance with all mandatory classes and education. Facilitate a culture of creative thinking and act as a change agent to challenge the status quo. Responsible for own professional growth and supports work-life balance. Ensure staff has the knowledge and skills to provide appropriate, safe care to patients and families through education, coaching, training, teaching or experience. Work with outside vendors, agencies to assure coordination of services and represent the organization in a professional manner. Participate in at least one professional organization and support and encourage others to participate in professional organization.
- Financial Management: Assist in development of unit budget, providing input and possible evaluation of processes, equipment and make recommendations. Educate team members on financial implications of unit operations. Assist manager to achieve financial targets.
- Minimum three (3) years of clinical experience as RN in clinical area.
- Minimum one (1) year of leadership experience.
- BSN or health-related bachelor's degree or currently enrolled in BSN or health-related bachelor degree program with completion date defined.
License, Certification, Registration
- Current Oregon or Washington RN license in state where assigned required upon hire/transfer.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health Care Providers required upon hire/transfer.
- Minimum five (5) years of demonstrated knowledge in area of clinical expertise.
- Minimum two (2) years of education experience.
- Certification in specialty area.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Nurse Practice Act, the Joint Commission, Labor Law, all related and affiliate contracts, workmen's comp, policies and procedures, human resource policies and procedures, OSHA, CMS, Health department, Employee benefits, National labor relations board, standards of practice of professional organizations.