JOB BRIEF (PURPOSE)
The Business Banking Sales Leader (BBSL) manages a team of Business Banking Relationship Managers and sales support to acquire new clients and expand the share of wallet of existing client portfolio of businesses with annual sales from $3 to $25 million. The BBSL promotes a disciplined sales culture by creating a learning
environment that focuses on the development and retention of the sales team. Develops and maintains a strong partnership with the Retail Sales Leader (RSL) to drive small business opportunities through the consumer channel.
All BBSLs will be assigned as a BBSL I, unless he/she manages another BBSL(s) or when scope includes more
than $13M in annual revenue and $500M in loans and deposits.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The BBSL manages the financial performance of the business banking sales team within a market and is responsible for growing a client base of companies with revenue between $3-20MM. This leader partners with small business area manager to ensure smaller clients are managed in the retail channels. The BBSL ensures the delivery of the BB value proposition (clients bank at us because their business is understood, their time is valued and solutions are provided to simplify their lives).
The BBSL will be responsible for functions that align with the our Sales Process and Consultative Sales Process Framework in daily work to develop and grow a sales team that creates a positive client experience. This includes:
· Coaches to the segment value proposition and defined client experiences and directs the team sales efforts through utilization of consistent sales processes/tools including a disciplined approach to prospecting, development of internal/external centers of influence and follow-up to leads.
· Maintains an in-depth knowledge of products and services as well as proactively acquires knowledge of competitors and competitive products to support the awareness of sales team.
· Fosters an environment for learning/best practice sharing and accountability; drives the performance and sustained success of the BB team.
· Coaches each Business Banking Relationship Manager (BBRM) to fully appreciate, understand and be
able to deliver solutions that meet the client’s comprehensive needs, based on the review and analysis of personal and financial data gathered through Relationship Reviews, the Desktop and personal meetings. Participates in joint calls with BBRMs to enhance selling skills and uncover opportunities.
· Supports sound credit initiation process to drive a high quality profitable portfolio
· Actively participates and creates opportunities for sales team participation in community organizations to source business development opportunities and demonstrate our commitment to the local community.
Human Capital Leadership
· Creates a positive work environment, establishes high standards for work quality and provides opportunities for career growth and job satisfaction in order to develop and retain a highly trained and motivated staff.
· Establishes and tracks performance objectives for team members; manages and evaluates staff performance to established objectives, differentiates performance and strives to ensure each banker achieves their respective goals.
· Partners with Human Resources to execute talent processes – including recruiting, employee skill development, career progression, goal setting, performance management, employee engagement and the delivery of a pay for performance culture.
· In conjunction with Human Resources, creates and executes a proactive strategy to build a pipeline of talent by assessing and building talent across the markets. Proactively sources external talent.
MARGINAL OR PERIPHERAL FUNCTIONS
Provides feedback to segment and corporate partners regarding competitive offers and new product development.
· Bachelor’s degree in business/related field or equivalent work experience.
· Five to seven years commercial lending experience.
· Three to five years of leadership experience with demonstrated ability to lead, manage and champion a sales team to success. Leadership experience managing commercial lenders preferred.
· Five+ years demonstrated sales and business development experience with proven results including client research, sales planning and ability to close a sale.
· Is a proven leader; gets the most and best out of people; sets and communicates goals; holds people accountable; develops others.
· Strong financial and business acumen. Excellent credit skills and proven ability to effectively manage credit needs for the portfolio. In depth knowledge of financial products and banking regulations.
· Strong customer service skills.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong presentation skills.
· In depth knowledge of financial products and banking regulations.
· Demonstrated experience with and thorough knowledge of personal and commercial financial statements, commercial lending, and small business operations.
· Developing Direct Reports: Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent
development discussions; is aware of each direct report’s career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; pushes direct reports to accept developmental moves; will take direct reports who need work; is a people builder.
· Building Effective Teams: Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines successes in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
· Motivating Others: Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate many kinds of direct
reports and team or project members; can assess each person’s hot button and use it to get the best out of him/her; pushes tasks and decisions down; empowers others; invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility; make each individual feel his/her work is important; is someone people like working for
· Business Acumen: Knows how businesses work; knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends, and information affecting his/her business and organization; knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
· Customer Focus: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with and gains their trust and respect.
· Drives for Results: Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
Business Banking Sales Leader
· Peer Relationships - Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all; can represent his/her own interests and yet be fair to other groups; can solve problems with peers with a minimum of noise; is seen as a team player and is cooperative; easily gains trust and support of peers; encourages collaboration; can
be candid with peers.
· Interpersonal Savvy - Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.