The School Finance Controller at us focuses on being an active part of a high-functioning, fast- moving team and play a critical role in supporting school and student needs. This position will report directly to the Manager of School Finance in the Financial Services group and will monitor, analyze and advise on budget decisions for multiple funding sources with our schools. This position is responsible for understanding and implementing state and federal requirements including applying for grant awards, monitoring budgets, and ensuring compliance regulations. To be successful in this position, you will need to be a motivated and knowledgeable problem-solver, monitor spending and reporting as it relates to budget, have top-notch organizational and time-management skills, driven to actively seek out information, have a passion for customer service, and possess a strong combination of both technical and interpersonal skills.
We partner with communities to build and operate public charter schools. Founded in 1995, today we has over 100 schools in nine states, serving more than 60,000 students in kindergarten through 12th grade. Our schools are designed to eliminate the achievement gap and provide school choice to families so their children are prepared for success in college, career, and life. In fact, a majority of our schools consistently outperform their local district on the state test. According to the Center for Research Outcomes at Stanford University, we are a leading performer among charter schools and management organizations, outperforming both conventional district schools and other charter school operators. In addition, according to our employee survey, over 90% of respondents agree that the work they do is meaningful to them. Join us. Together we impact a life.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work collaboratively with school leadership and other supporting departments to develop, review, and adjust school budgets; provide regular and timely updates on spending to allow for proactive decision making as it relates to school business.
- Evaluate and monitor spending against school budgets for sustainability, allowability, and program alignment.
- Responsible for timely and accurate reporting of financial statements, spending as it relates to budget, and student record information through the use of multiple company and state data, financial, and grant system platforms.
- Acquire and maintain expertise regarding applicable federal, state, local laws, and accounting rules and regulations.
- Responsible for creation and submission of grant applications and amendments based on unique school and student needs for multiple schools and funding sources.
- Advocate for schools' needs with departments of education, school boards and chartering authorizers.
- Communicate clearly to teammates, schools, vendors, Service Center departments, and state departments of education while providing excellent customer service.
- Assess complex situations and provide solutions both independently and through a comprehensive team approach. - Assists with programmatic and financial audits as needed.
- Adhere to strict confidentiality regarding sensitive information.
- Experience in business, accounting, or related field
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is required; accounting, business or related field is preferred
- Self-directed, highly motivated, growth minded
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in interdependent teams requiring strong collaborative skills
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office products, especially Excel
- Proven ability to analyze and summarize large amounts of data for customers
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at a time and adhere to strict timelines and due dates To learn more about our core values, please click here.