Senior Director – SALT - Internal Tax
The Senior Director - SALT Internal Tax will need to be a dynamic and experienced leader. This position will be responsible for establishing, implementing and maintaining the firm' s overarching SALT tax strategies and policies to complement firm’s operations and be the focal leadership point in collaboration with the Chief Tax Officer, Director SALT, CFO and Tax Matters Partner and other firm leaders to modernize, transform and update the current SALT approach. Reporting to the Chief Tax Officer, this role will foster a spirit of collaboration with other leaders within finance/accounting and the business in carrying out these responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Evaluate current state and develop a strategy along with other key strategic business leaders (e.g., CTO, CFO, CEO, COO, GC, etc..) relative to the overall approach to SALT tax strategies for the firm as well as the firm’s owners (i.e., partners and principals)
- Drive quality and seamless delivery through all aspects of the reporting and compliance process (e.g., state/local, indirect, state partnership K-1 process, etc.)
- Lead and support the leadership with effective communication efforts to and on behalf of firm owners (i.e., partners and principals), (both individually and as a group, on state tax matters)
- Proactively engages the business leaders and other subject matter experts with the firm on key issues; assess and manage risks and opportunities;
- Provide the on-the-ground and day-to-day state tax leadership for the Tax Function / Team and drive efficiencies and transformation through a leader-led technology enablement and process transformation
- Support the firm’s efforts to identify, hire, develop and retain top tax function talent to support the overall firm objectives
- Other duties as assigned
- 15+ years of experience (preferably strategic partnership) experience, including experience within the professional services industry - Deep expertise in partnership tax accounting topics, concepts and strategies
- Comprehensive knowledge of US and state tax requirements for partnerships, alternate structures, subsidiaries, etc.
- Ability to support, collaborate with and effectively communicate across the entire spectrum of leadership roles and all levels of leadership (e.g., Partnership Board, C-Suite, Business Unit Leaders, etc.)
- Recognized and proven experience leading a team of diverse professionals with emphasis on the identification and development of top talent
- Masters in Tax / Accounting preferred and BA in Tax / Accounting required - CPA required AND JD/LLM a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to travel on short notice and work additional hours as necessary.