Provides variety of ambulatory behavioral health services including evaluation, diagnosis, treatment planning, case management and psychotherapeutic intervention to individuals, families, groups and/or Intensive Outpatient Programs.
- Interviews member and evaluates their psychological and mental status. Utilizes the latest Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) to diagnose patients. Determines if member is in crisis, at-risk, or suicidal/homicidal. Refers members in need of immediate or urgent care to appropriate level of services.
- Provides psychotherapy and counseling for individuals, families, groups and/or Intensive Outpatient Programs. Utilizes a wide range of latest evidence based interventions and modalities. Provides services such as crisis intervention, brief therapy, cognitive and behavioral therapies, skills training, supportive therapy, stress management, and family therapy.
- Assesses urgent or high-risk clinical situations and makes appropriate interventions. Coordinates referral of patient to psychiatrist or other clinician. Assists with admission to hospital or other specialized facilities. Plans and provides services in the appropriate level of care. Assesses needs for mental health treatment and makes appropriate referrals as needed.
- Plans, develops, implements, and leads therapeutic and educational groups to address needs of patient. Evaluates outcomes and effects of treatment for patients and programs.
- Researches, collects and records data and information relating to diagnosis. Formulates evidence based treatment interventions and approaches for identified diagnosis. Assists in establishing clinical best practices and guidelines for delivery of service.
- Assists and empowers patients to participate in their treatment plan. Engages patients in therapeutic relationship. Educates patients regarding mental health services. Makes recommendations and referrals for patients to obtain information, support, services and assistance they may need from Kaiser or community resources related to their behavioral health needs.
- Collaborates and consults with physicians and other interdisciplinary clinical team members to support assessments and decision making. Reviews difficult cases or quality assurance concern with clinical team. Acts as consultant to team members and others in organization.
- Acts as liaison between behavioral health services and primary care, emergency department and other outpatient clinics.
- Maintains high level of clinical expertise. Is knowledgeable of current clinical conditions, methods, medications, theoretical frameworks and interventions. Utilizes best practices in delivery of behavioral health services in accordance with professional and clinical guidelines established by professional bodies. Understands rationale and theory for interventions. Utilizes evidence based interventions and modalities with sound theoretical base, which are clinically feasible and have demonstrated clinical effectiveness.
- Maintaining clinical records by documenting clinical assessments, treatment plans, interventions and all pertinent information in patient medical record according to Regional and departmental guidelines.
- Provides and arranges for psychological testing for Integrated Behavioral Health Services when appropriate. Develops and conducts specialized treatment programs and services.
- Participates in clinical team meetings, departmental planning and quality management activities.
- Supervises and mentors residents and intern students as assigned.
- Assesses patients in Emergency Departments on after hours and as needed basis in service areas where we have privileges to provide mental health assessments and crisis intervention.
- Other clinical duties as assigned.
- Doctoral degree in Psychology from an American Psychological Association (APA) approved program in clinical psychology or from an accredited institution with the graduate level training leading to the doctoral degree meeting the requirements of Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR) 16-98-9.
License, Certification, Registration
- Psychologist License (Hawaii)
- National Provider Identifier required at hire
- Basic Life Support required at hire from American Heart Association
- Experience in providing evidence based treatment including conducting individual and group therapy, intensive outpatient treatment, and/or partial hospitalization programs for children, and/or adults, including people with serious/chronic mental illness
- Experience in writing treatment plans.
- Knowledge and experience in conducting assessments and diagnostic evaluations using the latest Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).
- Familiar with frequently used psychiatric medications.
- Familiarity with statistical/analytical methods of instruments.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in adaptability, change management, conflict resolution, decision making, group process facilitation, influence, interpersonal relations, oral communication, problem solving, quality management, teamwork, and written communication.
- Taxonomy code required at time of hire.
- Note: This position requires successful completion of credentialing process upon hire.
- Experience with documentation according to national accreditation guidelines.
- Experience in providing behavioral health services in a primary care setting is highly desirable.
- Experience in providing services to patients with addictions issues.
- Experience in providing consultation/liaison services to emergency departments.